Posted on February 5, 2018
Tips from a departing 3L
With graduation just a few months away, 3L Sophia Dinkel took a break from post-law school planning to offer words of wisdom to future Jayhawk lawyers-in-training.
As a 3L departing from law school in May, here are a few tips that I have picked up throughout the years.
- Get to know professors interested in the work you are interested in. They are great, very knowledgeable and will often times help you get a job.
- Take classes you enjoy. Enjoyable classes make the work much easier.
- Get to know your classmates! They are wonderful people and may also help you get a job.
- Make friends! The people in your class are the ones who will get you through the ups and the downs of law school.
- Do a clinic or two. They are good opportunities to get real-world experience.
- Be open. Your ideas about what you want to be when you grow up may change. Embrace it. You can be any kind of lawyer you want.
- Don’t pick a legal field for the money; pick one because you find it fascinating.
- Go to law school events! They are fun and a good way to meet other law students. Remember, they are going to help you get jobs. 😉
- Maintain a hobby. Law school is a lot of work, but find or maintain a hobby that keeps you sane. It will help your mental health and give you something interesting to talk to employers about.
- Join an organization you are interested in. Don’t join organizations for resume builders.
- If you see a program or event or opportunity that interests you, do it.
- Apply to that job, even if it seems like a far fetched plan. You never know what an employer is looking for. It could turn into the best job you’ve ever had.
- Find your study zone, whether it is at home, the library, a coffee shop. Find the place where you study best
- Don’t eat pizza every night. While it is tempting (law school events always have pizza), you will regret it later.
- Visit Career Services. They are great. Make them your friends and refer back to #3.
- Buy the law school gear. Its cool to sport it around town.
- You will make it through 1L year. We all did it, and you will too!
- Go to a law school where you feel comfortable. KU Law has a great laid back culture and is the perfect place to call home.
- Go to the firm meet-and-greets. It is always good to get your name out there and meet new people!
- Take care of your mental health, and practice good mental health tactics. Refer back to #9.
- Be open to new and different classes and experiences. You may just find something you love.
- Don’t just resume build.
- Use your resources! This could include study groups, professors, research librarians, online resources, etc.
- Do that interview! Even if it is just for practice.
- Use Jayhawk nation to help you find a job or get that introduction. They are great people and love KU Law.
— Sophia Dinkel is a 3L and KU Law Student Ambassador from Norman, Oklahoma.